Constantly changing!

We at Bravo Drones have supplied this overview page listing the most common but not definitive list of regulations relating to UAV/RPA commercial operations. For full and current regulations it is recommended you visit the RPA section of the CASA website or contact them directly.

What are the safe to fly and legal regulations for flying a UAV?

Below is a summary breakdown. Civil Aviation Safety Regulation part 101 (CASR 101) consolidates all the rules applicable to Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) now referred to as RPAs (Remotely Piloted Aircraft) into one body of legislation. Australia was the first country in the world in the year 2002 to release such laws. The CASR 101 has been used as a guide for many other international authorities such as the FAA, ICAO, and EASA as they established UAV legislation. Some of the base rules/laws of UAV flight include:

  • You and your company must be CASA licensed if the photographs, videos or data gained from the use of a UAV is for commercial again or reward.
  • You must not fly closer than 30m to populated areas which includes crowds, individuals, vehicles, boats, buildings.
  • You should not fly within a RADIUS of 3 Nm (5.5 Km) of any aerodrome, airfield, airport, seaplanes taking off or landing, helicopter landing sites which may be located at hospitals, police stations or other locations that you may not be aware of. It is YOUR responsibility to find out where they are and ignorance is no defence in the court of law.
  • You must operate during DAYLIGHT – NO night flying!
  • You must only fly in good weather.
  • You must be in visual-line-of-site of the UAV at ALL times.
  • You must NOT fly above 400ft (120m) in controlled airspace
  • Operating a UAV for gain or reward requires CASA licensing.

A simple example is the use of aerial photographs of a property to assist in its sale, for property development or marketing purposes. Real Estate photographers will usually NOT be able to conform with all of these conditions and will therefore will require a UAV Operators Certificate (UOC) issued by CASA to operate legally.

UAV companies with a UOC license from CASA can apply for or already have exemptions to various regulations.


Without an appropriate license you are not insured!!! Standard business Public Liability Insurance does NOT cover UAV operations.

General RPA Terminology

Terminology Meaning
CASA Civil Aviation Safety Authority (governs all Australian civil aviation)
Chief Controller Ensures that all Bravo Drones air operations are conducted in compliance with CASA Regulations
Drone A common term used to describe a UAV
FPV First Person View
RPA Remotely Piloted Aircraft
RPAS Remotely Piloted Aircraft System
RPC Remote Pilot Certificate, a CASA issued certification that a person is authorised to pilot a UAV
RPIC Remote Pilot In Charge
UAS Unmanned Aerial System
UAV Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
UOC UAV Operators Certificate, required to legally fly UAV for business purposes